Monday, April 25, 2011

Course Reflection #2

In the past two weeks we have talked a lot about different goals of design. My favorite lecture was on the Design and the Environment. I am passionate about protecting our environment and I have noticed that very little can be done if the design of our world is not accomodating to easy environmentalism. For instance, environmental lightbulbs are designed so that they last way longer than regular lightbulbs, which is an incentive for the average consumer to buy them. People use whatever the market designs, so designers are working to create products that will minimize environmental harm at an affordable cost. I especially liked the video about the clean water bottle design. Lack of clean water is one of the world's biggest issues right now and it is amazing how there is already a proposed solution to this highly publicized problem.

The lecture on accessibility was also very interesting although I didn't find it as relevant to my own life because a lot of it was geared towards people with disabilities. I have, however, become more aware of the handicap access techniques that are seen throughout campus and how intentionally they are placed.

I loved the scavenger hunt because I got to talk to people in the class more than usually do, and we got to walk around on a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment