Monday, April 11, 2011

Course Reflection #1

In the first day of class I learned that the term design is a much broader topic than I had previously considered it. Also I was surprised by how much of an impact design had on the industrial world, and has been such a large part in the technology centered world in which we now live. Some of the industrial objects such as the telephone and the toilet are essential in modern society, and the design of these objects was crucial in shaping what we use today. The main point that I understood from the first lecture is that design is an open process: it involves the design of anything, and is not restricted to artistic pursuits.

I learned about the 3 types of design in the design department. The department I am most interested in is the Visual Communication department because I want to learn more about web design and PhotoShop. Also in the lecture I learned thing about fonts and spacing that I have already applied in my classes this week. It is surprising how many fields of work design can apply to.

So far what has especially stuck out in my head is that designers' inspiration comes from a problem that needs to be solved. Designers do not just abstractly think of things, but try to solve inconveniences.

No comments:

Post a Comment